A Creativity Framework

(untitled) (c) D Harris


Have you found that one of the challenges in being a creative artist of any kind is how to improve your creativity? How to move beyond your creative blocks, limitations, and skill levels towards greater ideas, inspiration, and more meaningful, finished results?

If you are like me, you love to create and are dedicated to creating and see it is necessary to your life (and who you are). I too have had successes, and “failures” (though there is no such thing) and I have encountered all the pitfalls: burnout, lack of inspiration, long dry spells, self doubt, confusion, despair, giving up etc. I have also done a lot of research and reading into creativity. I have looked at stages of creativity, motivation, methods, practices, biographies, you name it, all in search of that creative spark that can ignite my own creativity.

And you know what I found over the last few years? Some of it is helpful, a lot of it is not and a lot of it is just bits and pieces. There is not much out there that is both helpful, comprehensive and consistent. For example, you can easily search on line for the stages of creativity. Yes it is helpful for beginners, but not much beyond that. This is why I have decided to write this blog, to put it all together to help me and others like me learn and grow creatively. To have a creativity framework that can be a guide and a resource to return to again and again when needed. 

A framework is basically an organising principle, which is a way of structuring an approach in a systematic way. So a creativity framework is just that,  a way of structuring  an approach to creativity that covers many aspects of creating as a practice that is fulfilling, that maps out the “terrain” of being creative, and is sustainable. It is not a quick fix, get rich, disposable gimmick. I don’t waste my time on anything that does not take me or my art with the depth and commitment that it deserves. Nor should you. 

I chose to call this blog ‘The Wrong End Of The Stick: Creativity and Perspective’ because I have found that often a change of perspective is what is most needed. Looking at something differently. Remember what Einstein said?  “No problem can be solved from the same level of consciousness that created it.”  Change your perspective.  Take a look at the ‘wrong’ end of the stick. If you do not have anything like a creativity framework to guide you, and you just search online and find bits and pieces, the danger is you will misdiagnose the problem and then try to apply the wrong solution!  And we all know how frustrating that is! Einstein also said “Few are those who see with their own eyes and feel with their own hearts.”  You can’t think your way out of a creative rut, and often you can’t feel your way out either because you don’t feel that good in the first place. 

The creativity framework that I have put together comes out of experience, out of the highs and lows and frustrations, and also as a way to learn more about creativity and myself. I am a big believer that who I am as an individual, how I approach creativity and my attitudes to life are all interconnected, and any learnings in these areas leads to greater clarity, and greater clarity leads to more meaningful art (and a richer life!). 

“In order to create, you’ve got to have energy; you’ve got to have clarity. You’ve got to be able to catch ideas.” David Lynch ‘Catching the Big Fish’ (p94). 

I want to share my learnings and this framework with everyone. I am grateful that many people throughout history decided to create and share their work, to the benefit of others. Art is not a competition, it is a rewarding journey of exploration and discovery into who you are. As somebody once said, why be like everyone else, everyone else is taken. 

So here is my creativity framework. I aim expand on each of these in more depth as I learn, explore and discover each aspect of it. 

  1. Find out the ‘you’ in you. (Exploring and discovering your motivations and inspirations that will help inform and clarify your art). 
  2. Separate yourself from your creativity. (The importance of separating who you are and your self-worth from your  creativity). 
  3. Get clear (Working on clarifying your vision of the type of art you want to contribute and that you will strive to make in the future)
  4. Make your plan. (Writing up a considered longer term plan that covers the different aspects of you and what you need to work on). 
  5. Priotise yourself. (How getting organised by reprioritising yourself will help you and increase your motivation and clarity. It is easier than you think if you know how). 
  6. Work on your craft. (There is no substitution for tyhe purposeful skill development of doing the daily work). 
  7. Mentor up (Why this is important for your growth and creative work). 
  8. Show your work. (Showing your work is a great feedback loop that takes you back to step 1 and the whole framework cycle is then influenced and changed (including you if you learn to put your ego aside). 
  9. Invest in yourself (Creativity, clarity, awareness and growth all go hand in hand, you need to invest in all areas of your life that are important to you in order to realise your creative potential). 
Darren J Harris
Text and images (c) Darren J Harris

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Impermanence as a world view

Art Comes From Life

At The Coalface of the Unknown